DESCRIPTION: Seeking an eager recruiter to enlist new teachers
REPORTS TO: Talent and Graduate Placement Manager
DATE: March 2018
LOCATION: Kansas City, Missouri
VACANCY: Full time
WHO WE ARE:
The Kansas City Teacher Residency (KCTR) is designed to accelerate student achievement in local district and charter schools through the recruitment, preparation, and support of highly skilled and diverse new teachers. KCTR’s mission is to serve high need urban schools in Kansas City, Missouri through the lens of our core values of mission-driven, high expectations, collaboration, growth mindset, care and love, ownership, and persistence. The Kansas City Teacher Residency is a post-graduate teacher preparation program that offers more time and development that is focused on teaching in high need urban schools, more coaching and support through the residency year and in the first three years of teaching, and more time in schools learning alongside a master teacher for a full school year.
Pioneered in the early 2000s in Boston, Chicago, and Denver, urban teacher residency programs adapt the medical residency model to teacher preparation and are designed to provide residents with the skills, knowledge, and practical experiences necessary to become effective urban teachers. The Kansas City Teacher Residency will prepare residents to be highly effective teachers by providing the following:
- A rigorous, year long clinical experience with a highly effective teacher focusing on the instructional practices that drive student learning;
- Concentrated and aligned coursework culminating in a Master’s Degree and teacher certification;
- A collaborative cohort experience with fellow residents who share a passion for urban education;
- A comprehensive induction program during years 1-3 as a teacher of record
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
This position will report to the Talent and Placement Manager of the Kansas City Teacher Residency and will work collaboratively with other members of the Kansas City Teacher Residency team, KCTR partner schools and the KCTR university partner. The admissions and recruitment team help support the recruitment and selection of residents to meet the human capital needs and focus areas for our partner CMO and District schools through program development, program management, and building relationships. They are expected to work on assignments in a manner that is consistent with the core values of the Kansas City Teacher Residency.
SPECIFICALLY YOU’LL BE EXPECTED TO:
- Implement recruitment strategies that attract high-quality candidates from diverse backgrounds to KCTR
- Collaborate to implement an effective marketing and communication plan that effectively markets KCTR to potential residents
- Implement and carry out a rigorous selection process to ensure that individuals accepted into the program meet standards
- Identify and cultivate strong referral pipelines
- Identify and establish a presence at promising events, organizations, and publications
- Network with KCTR partners, key members of local organizations and community leaders to promote KCTR recruitment events
- Conduct information sessions to educate others about KCTR
- Work with potential applicants to assist in their application process
- Track applicants through the application process to support them in completion of each stage
- Engage current KCTR stakeholders in supporting the application process and interacting with applicants
- Analyze data throughout the application process to identify challenges or opportunities and adjust strategically
QUALIFICATIONS FOR THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
Service Oriented Team Player
- Believes in the core values of Kansas City Teacher Residency, and be driven by the mission
- Demonstrated ability to motivate, inspire, and interact with diverse populations and awareness of and comfort with issues of diversity, specifically around race, class, and gender
- Ability to collaborate with multiple partners and navigate varying interest
- Understands the importance and skill required to manage and build relationships with adults.
- Readiness to work non-standard hours with occasional business travel
- Exceptional skills in time management, including the ability to balance multiple priorities, independently and cooperatively, in a fast-paced work environment
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills with all members of the KCTR team at all levels within the organization
- Ability to develop and deliver high quality presentations to KCTR team, potential recruits, and external stakeholders
Service Oriented Character
- Demonstrates a level of self-awareness, flexibility and a positive outlook in stressful situations and will take ownership to improve as necessary.
- Comfort providing direct, in-the-moment feedback to teams and participants
- Should be tactful and diplomatic with good listening skills and an approachable personality.
- Is trustworthy and can work independently with minimal supervision
- Track record of success in academic and professional settings
- Skilled in building relationships and leveraging existing relationships while displaying a customer service mindset towards recruitment
Service Oriented Learner
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree is preferred
- Experience in urban public schools, with a deep understanding of the opportunities and challenges within that dynamic environment is preferred
- Adequate understanding of nonprofit startup, team dynamics, education reform, and innovative teacher preparation programs
- Embody an entrepreneurial spirit encompassing a sense of personal urgency and responsibility for program success
- Ability to analyze and evaluate data to drive decision making and goal setting
- Strong analytical skills with an ability to assimilate to new information and processes quickly with solid judgment and decision-making abilities
- Solid working knowledge of visualization and/or data management software; intermediate or advanced knowledge of Google Apps is a plus
- Invest in your own personal development and skill set
This role requires reliable transportation and willingness to travel to and from partner sites. Occasional business travel is also required for recruiting purposes.
The Kansas City Teacher Residency offers a competitive compensation package commensurate with experience level, credentials and anticipated duties and responsibilities, including benefits.
Interested applicants can apply for this position by submitting a cover letter and resume via our online application.
All of the statements in this position description are intended to describe the general nature of the work being performed, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required. This document describes the position currently available. KCTR reserves the right to modify job duties or job descriptions at any time, including after the position is filled.