WHY BE A KCTR MENTOR TEACHER?
The Mentor Teacher role provides a unique professional development opportunity for excellent, experienced teachers to support, coach, and model best practices for a resident. Far beyond a typical cooperating teacher role, the re-envisioned mentor role is a professional opportunity that not only aids in teacher retention, but also improves instructional practice.
We are looking for high-performing educators to serve as Mentor Teachers to achieve our mission of developing profession-ready teachers to serve students in KC schools. As a Mentor Teacher, you will fully understand your Resident’s program outcomes, as well as co-teach, observe, provide meaningful feedback, model best practices, and coach your resident effectively.
As a Mentor Teacher you will:
- Make an impact on the development and growth of future teachers in Kansas City
- Receive a $3,000 stipend
- Receive continuous professional development and coaching, including direct coaching and feedback on the support and coaching of your Resident
To be eligible, Mentor Teachers must:
- Have taught at the host school for two or more years with a minimum of three years teaching experience
- Have achieved impressive student achievement results
- Be committed to hosting a resident for an entire year
- Been endorsed by your building leadership to apply to be a Mentor Teacher
- Participate in professional development sessions
- Sign up for an in-person interview by Monday, May 15th
- Successfully complete a classroom observation, lesson plan feedback protocol, and in-person interview
- Demonstrate your comfort with: technology integration, co-teaching, collaboration, and ability to communicate with adult learners
Important time commitments:
July 9-13th , 2018
Five full days in the month of July, 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM
Two Saturdays, per semester
Professional Learning Community
9:00 AM – 4:00 PM